This article is written from a review of the literature by Alan Phillips, Director, Citizens for Healthcare Freedom… Some of his conclusions are reproduced word for word while others are mildly paraphrased.
Vaccines may not be safe…
Vaccines may not be effective…
Vaccines may not be the reason for the low rate of infectious disease in the U.S. today…
Vaccination may not be based on sound theory and practice…
Childhood diseases may not be as dangerous as commonly thought…
Polio may not be the success story you think it is…
There may be long term reactions to vaccinations…
There are other options for disease prevention…
Vaccinations are not legally mandated, nor unavoidable…
Around 100-120 deaths are reported annually in the U.S. due to vaccinations.1 Despite legal requirements on doctors to report adverse reactions and death, studies indicate the reporting rate is about 2.5%3 suggesting that the actual incidence of death due to vaccination is around 4000-4800 per year. The incidence of reported serious adverse reaction is around 11,0001 suggesting that the actual figure is 440,000. The majority of deaths are attributed to pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine, the "P" in DPT. The incidence of death from pertussis is around 8-10 during peak years which occur every 3-4 years. Therefore, the vaccine may be 400 times more lethal than the disease it is supposed to protect us from.
Furthermore, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is solidly linked to vaccination with the peak incidence occurring exactly when the first two vaccinations are given at 2-4 months of age.4,5 The incidence of SIDS in the U.S. is 5-10 thousand each year. Also, around 3,000 children die within four days of vaccinations in the U.S. In the mid 70s Japan raised the vaccination age from 2 months to 2 years and the incidence of SIDS in Japan dropped dramatically.
While DPT has been given credit for a drop in pertussis, in fact pertussis declined 79% before the vaccine was introduced. In England the vaccination rate has dropped from 80% to 30% in the mid 1970s and the incidence of pertussis has declined concurrently. Another study indicates that ½ of SIDS deaths are due to vaccine. That would be up to 5,000 deaths per year caused by vaccines.4 Another study revealed that 1 in 175 children who completed the full DPT series suffered "severe reactions," 7 and yet another found that 1 in 300 DPT immunizations resulted in seizures.8
Furthermore, studies have failed to reveal any real relationship between pertussis immunization and the actual incidence of pertussis. The only real effects of pertussis vaccinations may be to maim and kill children and produce drug company profits.
The evidence that vaccination is ineffective in preventing epidemics is persuasive. Measles, mumps, small pox, polio and Hib outbreaks have all occurred in vaccinated populations. 11, 12, 13, 14 ,15 In 1989 the CDC (Center for Disease Control — a federal agency) reported: "Among school-aged children, [measles] outbreaks have occurred in schools with vaccination levels of greater than 98 percent.16 The CDC reported a measles outbreak in a population with 100 percent vaccination.18 A more recent study found that measles vaccination "produces immune suppression which contributes to an increased susceptibility to other infections."19 a Japan experienced yearly increases in small pox following the introduction of vaccines in 1872. By 1892, there were 29,979 deaths, and all had been vaccinated.20 Early in this century, in the Philippines 8 million people received 24.5 million vaccine doses and the death rate quadrupled. 21 In 1989, Oman had a widespread polio outbreak six months after achieving complete vaccination.22 In the U.S. in 1986, 90% of 1300 pertussis cases in Kansas were "adequately vaccinated"23 and 72% of pertussis cases in the 1993 Chicago outbreak were fully up to date with their vaccinations.24
Childhood diseases decreased 90% between 1850 and 1940, paralleling improved sanitation and hygienic practices, well before mandatory vaccination programs. Infectious disease deaths in the U.S. and England declined steadily by an average of about 80% during this century and measles mortality declined over 97% prior to vaccinations.25
In Great Britain, the polio epidemic peaked in 1950, and declined 82% by the time the vaccine was introduced in 1956. Thus, at best, vaccinations can be credited with only a small percentage of the overall decline in disease related deaths this century and even this small portion is questionable, as the rate of decline remained virtually the same after vaccines were introduced.
Furthermore, European countries that refused immunization for small pox and polio saw the epidemics end along with those countries that mandated it. (In fact, both small pox and polio immunization campaigns were followed initially by significant disease incidence increases; during smallpox vaccination campaigns, other infectious diseases continued their declines in the absence of vaccines. In England and Wales, smallpox disease and vaccination rates eventually declined simultaneously over a period of several decades.26
It is thus impossible to say whether or not vaccinations contributed to the continuing decline in disease death rates, or if the same forces which brought about the initial declines — improved sanitation, hygiene, improvements in diet, natural disease cycles — were simply unaffected by the vaccination programs. Underscoring this conclusion was a recent World Health Organization report which found that the disease and mortality rates in third world countries have no direct correlation with immunization procedures or medical treatment, but are closely related to the standard of hygiene and diet.27 Credit given to vaccinations for our current disease incidence has simply been grossly exaggerated, if not outright misplaced.
Vaccine advocates point to incidence statistics rather than mortality as proof of vaccine effectiveness. However, and for example, a recent survey in New York City revealed that only 3.2% of pediatricians were actually reporting measles cases to the health department. In 1974, the CDC determined that there were 36 cases of measles in Georgia, while the Georgia State Surveillance System reported 660 cases.29 In 1982, Maryland state health officials blamed a pertussis epidemic on a television program, "D.P.T. — Vaccine Roulette," which warned of the dangers of DPT; however, when former top virologist for the U.S. Division of Biological Standards, Dr. J. Anthony Morris, analyzed the 41 cases, only 5 were confirmed, and all had been vaccinated.30 Such instances as these demonstrate the fallacy of incidence figures, yet vaccine advocates tend to rely on them indiscriminately.
The undisputed fact is that vaccines stimulate the body to produce antibodies. However, this may not constitute immunity. Agammaglobulinemic children cannot produce antibodies, yet recover from infections almost as quickly as other children.31 A study published by the British Medical Council in 1950 during a diphtheria epidemic concluded that there was no relationship between antibody count and disease incidence.32 Immunity is a complex phenomenon involving many organs and systems and cannot be fully replicated by the artificial stimulation of antibody production. In fact, vaccination commits immune cells to the specific antigens involved in the vaccine, rendering them incapable of reacting to other infections. Our immunological reserve may thus actually be reduced, causing a generally lowered resistance.33
Another theory is "herd immunity," which states that when enough people in a community are immunized, all are protected. However, as indicated above there are many documented instances showing just the opposite — fully vaccinated populations do contract diseases; with measles, this actually seems to be the direct result of high vaccination rates.19
"Hot Lots" — vaccine lots with disproportionately high death and disability rates — have been identified repeatedly, but the FDA refuses to intervene to prevent further unnecessary injury and deaths. In fact, they have never recalled a vaccine lot due to adverse reactions. This could be termed infanticide.
The ability to withstand th assault of a vaccine is proportionate to the level of vitamin C in the person vaccinated. In Australia’s Northern Territory, a stepped-up immunization campaigns resulted in an incredible *50%* infant mortality rate in the native aborigines34 and in this population researcher A. Kalokerinos, M.D. discovered the vitamin C deficient "junk food" diet was a critical factor (children in shock or collapse often recovered in a matter of minutes when given vitamin C injections).
A very recent study in the New England Journal of Medicine revealed that a substantial number of Romanian children were contracting polio from the vaccine, a less common phenomena in most developed countries. Correlations with injections of antibiotics were found: a single injection within one month of vaccination raised the risk of polio 8 times, 2 to 9 injections raised the risk 27-fold, and 10 or more injections raised the risk 182 times [Washington Post, February 22, 1995].
Most childhood infectious diseases have few serious consequences. CDC statistics for pertussis during 1992-94 indicate a 99.8% recovery rate. The vast majority of the time, childhood infectious diseases are benign and self-limiting. They may also impart lifelong immunity, whereas vaccine-induced immunity is only temporary. In fact, the temporary nature of vaccine immunity can create a more dangerous situation in a child’s future. For example, the new chicken pox vaccine has an effectiveness estimated at 6 – 10 years. If effective, it will postpone the child’s vulnerability until adulthood, when death from the disease is 20 times more likely.
About half of measles cases in the late 1980’s resurgence were in adolescents and adults, most of whom were vaccinated as children35, and the recommended booster shots may provide protection for less than 6 months.36 Furthermore, some healthcare professionals are concerned that the virus from the chicken pox vaccine may "reactivate later in life in the form of herpes zoster (shingles) or other immune system disorders."37
Not only are most infectious diseases rarely dangerous, but they can actually play a vital role in the development of a strong, healthy immune system. Persons who have not had measles have a higher incidence of certain skin diseases, degenerative diseases of bone and cartilage, and certain tumors, while absence of mumps has been linked to higher risks of ovarian cancer.
Six New England states reported increases in polio one year after the Salk vaccine was introduced, ranging from more than doubling in Vermont to Massachusetts’ astounding increase of 642%. In 1959, 77.5% of Massachusetts’ paralytic cases had received 3 doses of IPV (injected polio vaccine). During 1962 U.S. Congressional hearings, Dr. Bernard Greenberg, head of the Dept. of Biostatistics for the University of North Carolina School of Public Health, testified that not only did the cases of polio increase substantially after mandatory vaccinations (50% increase from 1957 to 1958, 80% increase from 1958 to 1959), but that the statistics were manipulated by the Public Health Service to give the opposite impression.39
According to researcher-author Dr. Viera Scheibner, 90% of polio cases were eliminated from statistics by health authorities’ redefinition of the disease when the vaccine was introduced, while in reality the Salk vaccine was continuing to cause paralytic polio in several countries at a time when there were no epidemics being caused by the wild virus.
For example, in the U.S., thousands of cases of viral and aseptic meningitis are reported each year — these were routinely diagnosed as polio before the Salk vaccine; the number of cases needed to declare an epidemic was raised from 20 to 35; and the requirement for inclusion in paralysis statistics was changed from symptoms for 24 hours to symptoms for 60 days; it is no wonder that polio decreased radically after vaccines — at least on paper.) In 1985, the CDC reported that 87% of the cases of polio in the U.S. between 1973 and 1983 were caused by the vaccine, and later declared that all but a few imported cases since were caused by the vaccine — and most of the imported cases occurred in fully immunized individuals.
Jonas Salk, inventor of the IPV, testified before a Senate subcommittee that nearly all polio outbreaks since 1961 were caused by the oral polio vaccine. At a workshop on polio vaccines sponsored by the Institute of Medicine and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Samuel Katz of Duke University cited the estimated 8-10 annual U.S. cases of vaccine-associated paralytic polio (VAPP) in people who have taken the oral polio vaccine, and the [four year] absence of wild polio from the western hemisphere. Jessica Scheer of the National Rehabilitation Hospital Research Center in Washington, D.C., pointed out that most parents are unaware that polio vaccination in this country entails "a small number of human sacrifices each year." Compounding this contradiction are low adverse event reporting and the NVIC’s experiences with confirming and correcting misdiagnoses of vaccine reactions, which suggest that the actual number of VAPP "sacrifices" may be many times higher than the number cited by the CDC.
The documented long term adverse effects of vaccines include chronic immunological and neurological disorders such as autism, hyperactivity, attention deficit disorders, dyslexia, allergies, cancer, and other conditions, many of which barely existed 30 years ago before mass vaccination programs. Vaccine components include known carcinogens such as thimersol, aluminum phosphate, and formaldehyde (the Poisons Information Center in Australia claims there is no acceptable safe amount of formaldehyde which can be injected into a living human body).
Medical historian, researcher and author Harris Coulter, Ph.D. explained that his extensive research revealed childhood immunization to be "…causing a low-grade encephalitis in infants on a much wider scale than public health authorities were willing to admit, about 15-20% of all children." He points out that the conditions known to result from encephalitis (inflammation of the brain, a known side-effect of vaccination): autism, learning disabilities, minimal and not-so-minimal brain damage, seizures, epilepsy, sleeping and eating disorders, sexual disorders, asthma, crib death, diabetes, obesity, and impulsive violence are precisely the disorders which afflict contemporary society. Many of these conditions were formerly relatively rare, but they have become more common as childhood vaccination programs have expanded. Coulter also points out that "…pertussis toxoid is used to create encephalitis in lab animals."
A German study found correlations between vaccinations and 22 neurological conditions including attention deficit and epilepsy. The dilemma is that viral elements in vaccines may persist and mutate in the human body for years, with unknown consequences. Millions of children are partaking in an enormous, crude experiment and no sincere, organized effort is being made by the medical community to track the negative side effects or to determine the long term consequences.
Most parents feel compelled to take some disease-preventing action for their children. While there is no 100% guarantee anywhere, there are viable alternatives. Historically, homeopathy has been more effective than "mainstream" allopathic medicine in treating and preventing disease. In a U.S. cholera outbreak in 1849, allopathic medicine saw a 48-60% death rate, while homeopathic hospitals had a documented death rate of only 3%.40 Roughly similar statistics still hold true for cholera today.41 Recent epidemiological studies show homeopathic remedies as equaling or surpassing standard vaccinations in preventing disease. There are reports in which populations that were treated homeopathically after exposure had a 100% success rate — none of the treated caught the disease.42
There are homeopathic kits available for disease prevention.43 Homeopathic remedies can also be taken only during times of increased risk (outbreaks, traveling, etc.), and have proven highly effective in such instances. And since these remedies have no toxic components, they have no side effects. In addition, homeopathy has been effective in reversing some of the disability caused by vaccine reactions, as well as many other chronic conditions with which allopathic medicine has had little success.
There are three exemption possibilities in the U.S.:
- Medical Exemption: All 50 states in the U.S. allow for a medical exemption. A few states allow licensed naturopathic or chiropractic doctors to issue medical exemptions in addition to medical doctors. However, few pediatricians check for indications of increased risk before administering vaccines, so it is advisable for parents to research this matter for themselves. Epilepsy, severe allergies, and siblings’ previous adverse reactions are but a few of the many conditions in child or family history which may increase the chances of an adverse reaction, and thus qualify for a medical exemption.
- Religious Exemption: Nearly all states allow for a religious exemption. This may or may not require membership in an established religious organization, as individual state laws vary.
- Philosophical or Personal Exemption: An increasing number of states allow one of these exemptions, in recognition of the controversy and/or violation of freedom that mandated vaccination laws impose.
Generally, exempted children may not be banned from attending public schools and colleges except during local outbreaks. It is best to contact local school officials in advance to determine their particular procedure for handling exemptions. The best source for a copy of your state’s vaccination laws is state health officials or our public library. A phone call to the state Department of Epidemiology may be all that it takes to get a copy mailed to you.
In the December 1994 Medical Post, Canadian author of the best-seller Medical Mafia, Guylaine Lanctot, M.D. stated, "The medical authorities keep lying. Vaccination has been a disaster on the immune system. It actually causes a lot of illnesses. We are actually changing our genetic code through vaccination…10 years from now we will know that the biggest crime against humanity was vaccines." After an extensive study of the medical literature on vaccination, Dr. Viera Scheibner concluded that "there is no evidence whatsoever of the ability of vaccines to prevent any diseases. To the contrary, there is a great wealth of evidence that they cause serious side effects." John B. Classen, M.D., M.B.A. has stated, "My data proves that the studies used to support immunization are so flawed that it is impossible to say if immunization provides a net benefit to anyone or to society in general. This question can only be determined by proper studies which have never been performed. The flaw of previous studies is that there was no long term follow up and chronic toxicity was not looked at. The American Society of Microbiology has promoted my research…and thus acknowledges the need for proper studies." To some these may seem like radical positions, but they are not unfounded. The continued denial of the evidence against vaccines only perpetuates the "Myths" and their negative consequences on our children and society. Aggressive and comprehensive scientific investigation is clearly warranted, yet immunization programs continue to expand in the absence of such research. Manufacturer profits are guaranteed, while accountability for the negative effects is conspicuously absent. This is especially sad given the readily available safe and effective alternatives. Meanwhile, the race is on. According to the NVIC, there are over 250 new vaccines being developed for everything from earaches to birth control to diarrhea, with about 100 of these already in clinical trials. Researchers are working on vaccine delivery through nasal sprays, mosquitoes (yes, mosquitoes), and the fruits of "transgenic" plants in which vaccine viruses are grown. With every child (and adult, for that matter) on the planet a potential required recipient of multiple doses, and every healthcare system and government a potential buyer, it is little wonder that countless millions of dollars are spent nurturing the growing multi-billion dollar vaccine industry. Without public outcry, we will see more and more new vaccines required of us and our children. And while profits are readily calculable, the real human costs are being ignored.
Whatever your personal vaccination decision, make it an informed one; you have that right and responsibility. It is a difficult issue, but there is more than enough at stake to justify whatever time and energy it takes. Do not use this report alone to make your vaccination decision: FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF!
- National Technical Information Service, Springfield, VA 22161, 703-487-4650, 703-487-4600.
- Reported by KM Severyn,R.Ph.,Ph.D. in the Dayton Daily News, May 28, 1993. (Ohio Parents for Vaccine Safety, 251 Ridgeway Dr., Dayton, OH 45459)
- National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC), 512 Maple Ave. W. #206, Vienna, VA 22180, 703-938-0342; "Investigative Report on the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System."
- Viera Scheibner, Ph.D., Vaccination: 100 Years of Orthodox Research Shows that Vaccines Represent a Medical Assault on the Immune System.
- W.C. Torch, "Diptheria-pertussis-tetanus (DPT) immunization: A potential cause of the sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)," (Amer. Adacemy of Neurology, 34th Annual Meeting, Apr 25 – May 1, 1982), Neurology 32(4), pt. 2.
- Confounding in studies of adverse reactions to vaccines [see comments]. Fine PE, Chen RT, REVIEW ARTICLE: 38 REFS. Comment in: Am J Epidemiol 1994 Jan 15;139(2):229-30. Division of Immunization, Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, GA 30333.
- Nature and Rates of Adverse Reactions Associated with DTP and DT Immunizations in Infants and Children" (Pediatrics, Nov. 1981, Vol. 68, No. 5)
- The Fresno Bee, Community Relations, 1626 E. Street, Fresno, CA 93786, DPT Report, December 5, 1984.
- Trollfors B, Rabo, E. 1981. Whooping cough in adults. British Medical Journal (September 12), 696-97.
- National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (NVICP), Health Resources and Services Administration, Parklawn Building, Room 7-90, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857, 800-338-2382.
- Measles vaccine failures: lack of sustained measles specific immunoglobulin G responses in revaccinated adolescents and young adults. Department of Pediatrics, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC 20007. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 1(1):34-8, 1994 Jan.
- Measles outbreak in 31 schools: risk factors for vaccine failure and evaluation of a selective revaccination strategy. Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, University of Toronto, Ont. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 150(7):1093-8, 1994 Apr 1.
- Haemophilus b disease after vaccination with Haemophilus b polysaccharide or conjugate vaccine. Institution Division of Bacterial Products, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, Md 20892. American Journal of Diseases of Children. 145(12):1379-82, 1991 Dec.
- Sustained transmission of mumps in a highly vaccinated population: assessment of primary vaccine failure and waning vaccine-induced immunity. Division of Field Epidemiology, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia. Journal of Infectious Diseases. 169(1):77-82, 1994 Jan. 1.
- Secondary measles vaccine failure in healthcare workers exposed to infected patients. Department of Pediatrics, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, PA 19104. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology. 14(2):81-6, 1993 Feb.
- MMWR, 38 (8-9), 12/29/89).
- MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report) "Measles." 1989; 38:329-330.
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR). 33(24),6/22/84.
- Failure to reach the goal of measles elimination. Apparent paradox of measles infections in immunized persons. Review article: 50 REFS. Dept. of Internal Medicine, Mayo Vaccine Research Group, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN. Archives of Internal Medicine. 154(16):1815-20, 1994 Aug 22.
- 19a. Clinical Immunology and Immunopathology, May 1996; 79(2): 163-170.
- Trevor Gunn, Mass Immunization, A Point in Question, p 15 (E.D. Hume, Pasteur Exposed-The False Foundations of Modern Medicine, Bookreal, Australia, 1989.)
- Physician William Howard Hay’s address of June 25, 1937; printed in the Congressional Record.
- Outbreak of paralytic poliomyelitis in Oman; evidence for widespread transmission among fully vaccinated children Lancet vol 338: Sept 21, 1991; 715-720.
- Neil Miller, Vaccines: Are They Safe and Effective? p 33.
- Chicago Dept. of Health.
- See Note 23 pp 18-40.
- See Note 23 pp 45,46 [NVIC News, April 92, p12].
- S. Curtis, A Handbook of Homeopathic Alternatives to Immunization.
- Darrell Huff, How to Lie With Statistics, p 84.
- quoted from the internet, credited to Keith Block, M.D., a family physician from Evanston, Illinois, who has spent years collecting data in the medical literature on immunizations.
- See Note 20, p 15.
- See Note 20 p 21.
- See Note 20, p 21 (British Medical Council Publication 272, May 1950)
- See Note 20, p 21; also Note 23 p 47 (Buttram, MD, Hoffman, Mothering Magazine, Winter 1985 p 30;
- Kalokerinos and Dettman, MDs, "The Dangers of Immunization," Biological Research Inst. [Australia], 1979, p 49). back to footnotes 31-33
- Archie Kalolerinos, MD, Every Second Child, Keats Publishing, Inc. 1981