Adjust font size:

Site Search

The Hunger Project Bolen Report
Ohm Society

Questions for Dr. Kennedy
Welcome to Ask Dr. Kennedy. We encourage you to post your comments and questions here. We look forward to challenging questions as they are an education for us as well as for you. Please consider the following guidelines when posting:

Ask Dr. Kennedy is an educational service. Any medical advice on which you act should come directly from your personal physician.
Mention of any commercial products for sale will be removed.
Do not enter your title or message in ALL CAPS. If you do so, it will be removed.
Take care for your spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.
Reliable Heavy Metals Test
Posted by: Susan
Date: February 27, 2006 3:31 AM

In one of your responses to a question, you stated that the DMPS Challenge Test is not a reliable test for heavy metals if a person has amalgam fillings. Is there a reliable test for heavy metals if a person has amalgam fillings? I was given the DMPS Challenge Test by a naturopathic physician due to my having classic heavy metal toxicity symptoms (numbness, tingling, muscle weakness). The naturopath says my mercury and tin levels are high, based on this test. My initial hair analysis did not indicate high levels of mercury or tin. He says I need to have my amalgam fillings replaced and start taking a drug called Captomer. What is this drug and is it FDA approved? I have had 2 MRIs, blood work and an EMG from traditional MDs. All these tests were normal, including a blood/urine test for heavy metals. I still have the symptoms, but to a much lesser degree. (They began in 12/05). Should I take the Captomer and have my amalgam fillings replaced? What are your recommendations?

RE: Reliable Heavy Metals Test
Posted by: Ron Kennedy, M.D.
Date: February 27, 2006 3:44 AM

Working backwards on your questions, I cannot recommend anything to you when you are not my patient. Captomer is DMSA and it is FDA approved, but with FDA approved drugs killing 100,000 Americans per year, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that fact. With mercury in your teeth the DMPS Challenge Test will always be high, when the mercury fillings are out the test will still be high - it always is because mercury migrates out of the teeth and is stored especially in the brain and spinal cord. The question is how high? This gives an indication of how fast or slow you should be chelated. (Hair analysis is worthless.) There is no reliable test (and there is no point in having one) while there are mercury fillings in the teeth. Non-challenge blood and urine tests are alway negative unless there has been extreme exposure in the past couple days. Mercury hides out inside cells.

RE: Reliable Heavy Metals Test
Posted by: Susan
Date: February 28, 2006 12:58 AM

1) My symptoms have improved considerably since they started nearly 3 mos. ago. Would they do that if I have heavy metal toxicity?
2) Given my symptoms (numbness, tingling, weakness and metallic/acidic or burning taste in mouth (on and off in the past), and given that my traditional tests have all been normal, and considering the risk of having amalgams removed, if you were me, would you have yours removed?
3) Might it be helpful to take Chlorella (or another form of detox) before amalgams are removed? Liquid Chlorophyll has removed the metallic taste from my mouth in the past with no side effects.
4) What is the correct protocol that a dentist should follow when removing amalgams?
5) Can you recommend any dentists who do this in the San Jose, CA area?
6) In Dr. Andrew Weil's Self Healing newsletter of 6/05, he was discussing findings from an expert panel and stated: "according to one expert, you'd have to have about 500 mercury fillings in your mouth to produce toxic levels." Will you respond to this statement?

RE: Reliable Heavy Metals Test
Posted by: Ron Kennedy, M.D.
Date: February 28, 2006 2:09 AM

1. Can, especially if you are using something like Chlorella to cause a fluctuation in levels of mercury.
2. Can't answer you as I don't know you well enough. In general, when people have mercury toxic symptoms what that means to me is that they are especially sensitive to mercury and as long as there is a source of mercury in the body, it can only get worse.
3. Could help some, yes, but not a final solution.
4. Suction and rubber dam. One should also have a "post-amalgam" IV within two hours after drilling to bind the mercury liberated by the drilling before it can be methylated in the liver and deposited in the brain.
5. No.
6. He is uniformed and inexperienced in the area of mercury toxicity and simply does not understand the problem. In general that particular individual is willing to speak as an expert on many subjects of which he has minimal knowledge.

This Thread has been closed


health healing information, physician medical library medical informaion, health, healing, advertising
(885 words)