Mercury Toxicity, Gut Wall Infection, and Fatigue
Mercury ToxicityMercury toxicity is extremely common thanks to the dental profession which installs tons of mercury in people's mouths every day (dental amalgam is 35-50 % mercury). Mercury changes to a vapor through "sublimation," in the same way frozen carbon dioxide (dry ice) sublimates to a gas without first liquifying, only much slower of course. This occurs over the life of a dental amalgam and this mercury vapor is inhaled and goes to the blood via the lungs. It is then methylated by the liver which makes it soluble to the blood brain barrier and it is stored in the brain and spinal cord as well as in all cells of the body, especially lipid (fat) cells.
Except for neurons in the brain and spinal cord (central nervous system), all cells die and are replaced as part of the life process. This may occur to a very minor degree in the brain, but for practical purposes those are the only cells you ever had and there will be no replacements. Since they do not die (except with senility) and burst and release their mercury like the other cells of the body, they retain the highest levels of mercury in the body. This can cause mental dysfunction, often referred to as "brain fog." While mercury is easily deposited in the brain, it requires 256 days for 1/2 the mercury to leave on its own (without chelation) which means that total detoxification from a mercury level easily obtained through a mouthful of dental amalgam can take up to 10 years after the source is removed, barring treatment and barring further (environmental or other) exposure.
While dentists claim it is no problem, they are simply parroting the party line. Let them come spend a day in my office and talk to my patients. Also, let them review the scientific evidence contained at the bibliography at the end of this article: Dental Amalgam Mercury Poisoning.
Mercury toxicity is frequently associated with chronic gut wall infection. The mechanism is as follows. One consumes an acid forming diet (mainly animal products, simple and refined carbs, e.g. bread, pasta, juices, sodas, pastries, etc., also coffee and alcohol, perhaps even "consuming" tobacco). On top of that one has the stress of an elevated body burden of mercury from dental amalgams or other sources (fish, paint, or industrial exposures) and these two conditions lead to a transitory leaky gut syndrome. If antibiotics are taken for extended periods, your fate is practically sealed. In leaky gut syndrome the lining of the gut develops microscopic holes. Anaerobic bacteria, candida (yeast) and fungi then leak into the gut wall and set up a permanent residence in the gut associated lymphoid tissue (GALT) known as Peyer's Patches. These bacteria produce acid toxins which have a systemic effect on long term health and disable the gut lining so that dysbiosis results. Normally the lining of the gut regulates the intestinal flora to produce eubiosis by placing an antibody called Secretory A on the surface. Secretory A kills dysbiotic organisms on contact. Thus in the absence of adequate Secretory A the wrong organisms proliferate in the gut and produce chronic persistent bloating, gas and sometimes diarrhea and/or constipation. The systemic symptom produced is fatigue which is not dependent on any specific food intake.
And there the situation remains for the rest of your life, or until it is adequately treated. An infected gut wall does not get well because the very system which should get rid of them is the system in which they have set up shop - the immune system (Peyer's patches in the gut wall). By their close proximity they weaken the immune system and what results could be thought of as a "Mexican standoff." Some people report an offensive body odor which accompanies the toxic condition induced by the gut wall infection. This syndrome has been called "yeast syndrome," however that title is misleading as it does not get to the bottom of the issue. Candida (yeast) are simply opportunists. They proliferate when condtions are right for them. It is the process which makes conditions right for them which must be interrupted.
Therefore, from my point of view, anyone who is fatigued, has dental amalgams and bloating has this syndrome until proven otherwise. That person will not recover full health and vitality until properly treated.
The treatment is (1) removal of amalgam, (2) DMPS Challenge Test to determine mercury load, (3) oral chelation with DMSA and Penacillamine to remove the burden of mercury from the body and brain respectively. Penacillamine is a chelating agent with the extraordinary ability to cross the blood brain barrier. Treatment without Penacillamine is simply inadequate treatment. Also oral Chlorella to bind mercury which comes out in the bile and prevent its reabsorption is a good idea. (4) Treatment of the gut wall infection with the SanPharma and Pekana remedies. The SanPharma Protocol is is an 11 week course of treatment and if properly done is very reliable to handle the problem provided the mercury source has been removed and is at least being chelated out. These are German remedies, isopathic and drainage respectively. The Germans have been on to this syndrome for many years, but American medicine is still without a clue. These remedies have been available in the U.S. only since 1999 thanks to our FDA which finally relented. Very few doctors in the U.S. are even aware of them.
That wraps up the discussion on mercury, gut wall infection and fatigue. An incalculable number of people are disabled from a fatigue which their doctors cannot explain or treat. Mostly these patients are sent to psychiatrists and treated for depression. Depressed they may be; depression is not their primary problem and giving them antidepressant drugs will not help them significantly.
|ask dr. kennedy|
course in medicine
tell a friend