Inflammatory Bowel Disease, A New Treatment Approach

Inflammatory Bowel Disease, A New Treatment Approach

Dr. KennedyInflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis have proven extraordinarily difficult to treat. They are autoimmune disorders, which means the immune system of the

patient himself is the pathologic agent, making antibodies which attack his own tissues. The gut and the respiratory tracts are the locations where we encounter the environment most directly.

What many people, even some doctors, do not take into account is the undisputed fact that the immune system develops itself in relationship with the environment. If you think

about it, probably 100% of human beings were exposed to intestinal parasites prior to the age of sanitation which has happened in the last less than 0.01% of human existence. It makes no

sense to believe that the creative intelligence of the human immune system did not take into account of, and use for its own advantage, the presence of, for example, intestinal worms. That may seem a

disgusting notion to your aesthetic values, but the immune system has no aesthetic values. Nature uses what works, not what looks nice. So, now we consider modern, sanitized man and we

have to realize that not every person is genetically equipped to deal with complete sanitation. Apparently, some people have genetic programming which needs modulation by the environment,

including those whose intestinal immune systems need the modulating influence of compounds made by intestinal worms.

On the other hand, helminthic parasitism (intestinal worms) is a disease process in itself, so if we are going to modulate the immune system of a person with inflammatory bowel disease we
cannot infest that person with parasites which make him ill. What to do? Enter Robert W. Summers, M.D. who has carefully considered these matters and selected the ova (eggs) of a particular

non-human intestinal parasite named Trichuris suis, the common porcine whipworm. These worm eggs have the advantages that they do not persist or multiply in humans, they do not

invade and cause disease, they are not transmissible to other people, and they are stable and easy to produce. Dr. Summers has carried out studies on two groups of people with inflammatory

bowel diseases: (1) a placebo controlled, double blind study on 54 subjects with ulcerative colitis and (2) an open trial with 29 subjects with Crohn’s disease. In the ulcerative colitis study 45% of the treatment subjects

responded well compared to 17% of the placebo group and in the Crohn’s group 62% achieved remission after 12 weeks and another 14% were improved for a total of 76% response. While not

every person had a therapeutic response, and this cannot be touted as an absolute cure for inflammatory bowel disease, it is surely good news for people who are suffering from these disorders and

having little or no success with standard immune-suppressing treatment with steroids and ineffective anti-inflammatory agents.

In my view, the success rate could be dramatically improved by first detoxing, especially from heavy metals, a subject not dealt with by Dr. Summers. Heavy metal overload is, in my opinion,

equally and probably far more important than genetic influences. In my practice, I will surely insist on that step. Nevertheless, even without that, it appears that Dr. Summer’s approach is

statistically worthy, especially for people in desperate situations. I would combine this with the use of the SanPharma remedies which are well known to favorably modulate the immune system.

The Trichuris suis eggs can be ordered only from Germany and only by physicians. The website is

One final note: this therapy is also used for other autoimmune disorders, although the results of such therapy has not yet been thoroughly documented. Nevertheless, it makes theoretical

sense that it would be of benefit.

Summers, et al. Gut 2005;54:87-90

Comments are closed.