Adjust font size:

Site Search

The Hunger Project Bolen Report
Ohm Society

Questions for Dr. Kennedy
Welcome to Ask Dr. Kennedy. We encourage you to post your comments and questions here. We look forward to challenging questions as they are an education for us as well as for you. Please consider the following guidelines when posting:

Ask Dr. Kennedy is an educational service. Any medical advice on which you act should come directly from your personal physician.
Mention of any commercial products for sale will be removed.
Do not enter your title or message in ALL CAPS. If you do so, it will be removed.
Take care for your spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.
Posted by: Hope
Date: June 30, 2000 4:26 AM

I've been diagnosed with idiopathic thrombosis involving the mesenteric, portal and splenic veins. All my stomach veins have clots yet I am healthy except for someday the clots will go further and that will be my end. The clots are very extensive causing hemorrhaging. Up til now they have been able to stop the bleeding which hasn't been much, mainly my esophagus. Should I continue to take Coumadin and risk a major bleed? Or not take any Coumadin and risk clotting further?

RE: thrombosis
Posted by: Ron Kennedy, MD
Date: June 30, 2000 2:08 PM

I think you are right to search for someone with experience in such a rare condition. In fact, your best course of action would be to seek a doctor who has seen a lot of cases and dealt successfully with them. That person would almost surely be found only at a major university health center where rare conditions tend to be funneled (because the docs in the community have little experience with them). If I were you, I would attempt to get the head doctor of a department of internal medicine from your state's largest university medical school hospital and either have a phone conversation, or make an appointment with that person. Even if you can only make an appointment with one of the residents in such a program, such a rare condition would almost surely be supervised by one of the highly experienced doctors.

RE: thrombosis
Posted by: Hope
Date: July 1, 2000 1:21 AM

Already being treated by Stanford Hospital Medical in Palo Alto CA. They are stumped along with the many Residents who I have since met. The Chief of the vascular clinic along with a well respected Surgeon are not offering any answers. Only stares!

RE: thrombosis
Posted by: Ron Kennedy, MD
Date: July 2, 2000 3:11 PM

Then, I suggest you have a high resolution blood morphology study. There is something about the composition of your blood which makes it want to clot. It is highly probable that we could see this under dark field microscopy at high magnification and derive an idea of how to improve the situation. There may also be an element of food allergy to explain why the clotting tends to happen in the venous drainage area of the intestines, and not elsewhere. We can test for that as well. It surprises me that the folks at Stanford have not suggested this. Call me at 707-591-4088 for an appointment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at October 4, 2011 7:21 PM by Dr. Kennedy.

This Thread has been closed


health healing information, physician medical library medical informaion, health, healing, advertising
(606 words)