Adjust font size:

Site Search

The Hunger Project Bolen Report
Ohm Society

Questions for Dr. Kennedy
Welcome to Ask Dr. Kennedy. We encourage you to post your comments and questions here. We look forward to challenging questions as they are an education for us as well as for you. Please consider the following guidelines when posting:

Ask Dr. Kennedy is an educational service. Any medical advice on which you act should come directly from your personal physician.
Mention of any commercial products for sale will be removed.
Do not enter your title or message in ALL CAPS. If you do so, it will be removed.
Take care for your spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.
Wilson's syndrome or mercury toxicity?
Posted by: Noelle
Date: September 14, 2002 3:13 PM

I am an active woman who works out 1 -2 hours a day 5 times a week, and have always been active. I have been experiencing health problems the last 5 years that I cannot seem to rectify, and have had no prior health complications in my life. After visiting many doctors of many different backgrounds and reading from your website, I believe I may either have Wilson's syndrome and/or mercury poisoning. I had an initial severe bacterial infection in my GI tract from visiting Mexico approx. 5 years ago. I took a stong antibiotic and it seemed to take care of the problem. A few months later I had an episode of food poisoning from a local restaurant and life has never been the same. The pain was very severe (burning in my upper GI tract without any relief) and came back a week later, however all physicians involved never found anything to be wrong with me and told me that I did not have food poisoning even though the instance occurred one hour after eating at this restaurant. I was tested for hepatitis, mononucleosis, and many other things due to elevated liver enzymes and white count. Nothing tested positive. Since then I have experienced extreme abdominal distention, gas, constipation, large amounts of fluid retention especially in the abdomen and legs, inexplicable weight gain, difficulty losing weight, severe headaches, changes in the texture and tightness of my skin (my skin is much looser and wrinkles easily), extreme fatigue and even depression. I have gone through 3 rounds of treatment for candida and I get better only to get worse again once I am off treatment. I do have quite a few amalgam fillings which leads me to think that I may have this type of poisoning...and that the bacterial infection simply set up a situation my body could no longer deal with and therefore the scales have been tipped physically. However, I have taken my body temperature each day for over 30 days before I get out of bed in the morning and it is consistently 97.2 - 97.4. Rarely gets to 98.0. I seem to have a large amount of swelling in my face and body, and no matter how much or how long I work out I cannot seem to lose weight. I eat a very healthy and balanced diet as well. I am tired, irritable, depressed, and getting pretty apathetic due to the frustrating but ineffective quest to get back to normalcy. I would like to get your input as I am tired of visitng doctor after doctor who seems to find nothing wrong with me. I know myself and my body very well...and I have never felt this bad in my life. I am ready to resolve this and willing to do whatever it takes, and I am looking forward to your input.

RE: Wilson's syndrome or mercury toxicity?
Posted by: Ron Kennedy, M.D.
Date: September 14, 2002 4:36 PM

Most of your description is consistent with both of the possible causes you mention, in fact both are instances of hypometabolism. The dominance of your digestive symptomatology, the presence of amalgam, and the story of origin of this problem lean my thinking in the direction of gut wall infection. This is very hard to diagnose definitively and in fact is a diagnosis of exclusion, signs and symptoms. If you were driving to Oklahoma City and 10 signs pointed north, you would probably conclude OC is north of where you are now. When 10 signs point toward gut wall infection, that is almost surely the diagnosis, although to prove it would require a slice of the gut wall, a culture medium, and an microscope. Once a gut wall infection is established it will persist until it is correctly diagnosed and treated. Mainstream medicine has nothing to offer in terms of diagnosis or treatment, so I am not surprised to hear that you have received no help in this area. In case you have not read it yet, go read this:

Now, as to Wilson's, Dr. Wilson is totally focused on his causation - almost everything has become Wilson's syndrome and in my experience it is a rather uncommon cause of hypometabolism. His original idea that Reverse T3, if overproduced, blocks T3 and causes hypometabolism was a good one and I stick to the results of that lab test whereas Wilson now ignores the lab tests and treats everyone, regardless. That yields poor recover rates in my experience.

I will be glad to see you. If you can travel to Santa Rosa once we should be able to handle your treatment by phone after that.

RE: Wilson's syndrome or mercury toxicity?
Posted by: Noelle
Date: September 14, 2002 5:03 PM

Thank you. I think I would like to do that. Can you email me your contact info? I'll see if I can make some plans to see you.

RE: Wilson's syndrome or mercury toxicity?
Posted by: Ron Kennedy, M.D.
Date: September 14, 2002 5:07 PM

Contact information is located at:

This Thread has been closed


health healing information, physician medical library medical informaion, health, healing, advertising
(1033 words)