Adjust font size:

Site Search

The Hunger Project Bolen Report
Ohm Society

Questions for Dr. Kennedy
Welcome to Ask Dr. Kennedy. We encourage you to post your comments and questions here. We look forward to challenging questions as they are an education for us as well as for you. Please consider the following guidelines when posting:

Ask Dr. Kennedy is an educational service. Any medical advice on which you act should come directly from your personal physician.
Mention of any commercial products for sale will be removed.
Do not enter your title or message in ALL CAPS. If you do so, it will be removed.
Take care for your spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.
pelvic pain
Posted by: Kathy
Date: February 14, 2002 1:44 AM

I recently went to my gynocologist to have a yearly check up. I have been having some pain on my lower left side. He took a urine sample and everything came back fine. He ordered an ultrasound and is going to check my kidney and pelvic region. Along with the discomfort comes a lot of pressure on my bladder which comes and goes a little like the pain. He also did a blood test. If there any cancer in my pelvic area or kidney would it show up in a blood test?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at April 21, 2008 3:18 AM by Dr. Kennedy.

RE: pelvic pain
Posted by: Ron Kennedy, M.D.
Date: February 14, 2002 2:59 AM

Blood tests do not diagnose cancer, but some can raise suspicion. The usual tests doctors do to help them clarify their investigations when cancer is suspected are the CEA (Carcino-Embryonic Antigen) (blood) and 5-hydroxy-indole-acetic acid (urine). There are a variety of other tests, some of which are offered by specialty labs, which correlate with the presence or absence of cancer. Probably the best one is the AMAS (anti-malignin antibody serum) test. No test is 100% accurate. They all have false positives and false negatives. Other things docs do to diagnose or rule out cancer are MRIs and exploratory surgery. Only a spot of tissue under a microscope can diagnose cancer without any doubt. With the symptoms you describe cancerous and non-cancerous conditions of the desdending (and possibly sigmoid) colon, the ovary and Fallopian tube on that side as well as the bladder should be considered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at April 21, 2008 3:27 AM by Dr. Kennedy.

This Thread has been closed


health healing information, physician medical library medical informaion, health, healing, advertising
(441 words)